Oaklands is located within the Hill of Banchory area, which sits above the picturesque and popular town of Banchory. Oaklands offers you the best of both worlds; enjoy being part of a thriving village community, or make the most of Aberdeen’s vibrant city scene. Or both!
The spectacular River Dee is a short walk away – great for dog walkers, joggers, and those who like the make the most of the great outdoors. The river also offers some of the best salmon fishing in Scotland, and Banchory Golf Course is just a five-minute drive away.
With a wealth of activities on your doorstep, and first-rate schools and shops in the local area, you couldn’t pick a more perfect place to live in Aberdeenshire.
Royal Deeside is famous for its local produce, and the restaurants that celebrate it. With the Dee flowing through all the area’s main towns and villages, eating out usually involves beautiful views, as well as delicious food.
- Buchanan’s Bistro, Banchory – Buchanan’s is the place to go for brunch, sharing boards, coffee, cake, and locally sourced craft drinks. The bistro uses fruit and vegetables from its own allotments, and bakes its own bread. Everything else is ethically sourced from local suppliers.
- The Milton Brasserie, Crathes – Located in an old farm steading on the banks of the Dee, this brasserie serves high quality meals in an informal, friendly setting. Enjoy fine wines and a wide range of drinks, including an impressive selection of malt whiskies
- Banchory Lodge Hotel – Enjoying spectacular views of the River Dee, the hotel bar and restaurant champions local suppliers and produce wherever possible. Take your drink outside, and enjoy the restaurant’s heated terrace.
- The Birdhouse Café, Banchory – A family run café with a personal touch. Serving breakfast, lunch, wonderful home baking, and a range of good quality teas and coffees
If you are a fan of sports and the outdoors, you´ll find lots to do in the area surrounding Oaklands. Cycling, horse riding, fishing and watersports enthusiasts are all catered for, and the spectacular Cairngorms National Park is nearby.
- The Deeside Way – Enjoy a walk along the line of the Old Royal Deeside railway, which runs from Aberdeen to Ballater. With stunning views over the River Dee, and the Cairngorm mountains acting as a backdrop, you’ll never get bored exploring this 41-mile long trail.
- Kippie Lodge Country Club, Milltimber – Golf, fitness studio, tennis courts, indoor pool, coaching and classes, physiotherapy, hair and beauty salon, and a conservatory bistro – all interests taken care of!
- Banchory Golf Club – An 18 hole, par 69 course set by the banks of the River Dee.
- The Lecht and Glenshee ski centres – Within easy reach of Oaklands, both resorts offer some of the best skiing and snowboarding in Scotland.
History, Art and Culture
Deeside offers a wealth of historical attractions and cultural events – you will never be stuck for something to do! Explore castles and ancient woodland, or immerse yourself in art, theatre and live music.
- Crathes Castle & Gardens – 16th-century castle surrounded by formal gardens, woodland walks and rolling Scottish countryside. This National Trust for Scotland property also has a cafe, gift shop, adventure playground and Go Ape tree top adventure course.
- Drum Castle – One of Royal Deeside’s top historic attractions, Drum Castle also hosts events throughout the year, including food and drink festivals, and outdoor theatre performances. Just minutes from Oaklands.
- Woodend Barn, Banchory – An award-winning multi-arts venue, home to Buchanan’s Bistro and wild gardens.
- Milton Art Gallery, Crathes – An elegant gallery situated beside the River Dee, offering regular exhibitions and events.
Banchory and surrounding towns have a brilliant selection of independent shops on offer, while Aberdeen – which enjoys excellent shopping – is within easy reach.
- Out There Active Wear, Banchory – Offering a wide range of outdoor clothing and equipment, and combining the best brands with the best advice.
- Raemoir Garden Centre, Banchory – Offering includes gardening products, a foodhall, pet supplies, garden restaurant and café, and a gift and accessories shop.
- Bentleys of Banchory – A women’s clothing boutique, offering a range of designer labels.
- Union Square, Aberdeen – 60 retailers, 24 restaurants and eateries, and Aberdeen’s largest cinema. Also integrated with the city’s bus and rail links.
- Bon Accord & St Nicholas Shopping Centres, Aberdeen – With over 70 stores, including two department stores – John Lewis and Marks & Spencer.
Nursery, pre-school, primary and secondary schools are all close by, and private nurseries, schools and further education establishments are all within easy reach.